"Kernreuter" fire pump, Type 134, 1911

Bild
 © Technisches Museum Wien, Photo: Peter Sedlaczek
At around 1900, the fire pump, which was operated by hand or by a machine, significantly increased the efficiency with which fires could be fought, for example with the "Kernreuter" fire pump.

In contrast to manual firefighting with individual devices, fire pumps needed to be operated by an entire team or at by least several persons. Two versions were developed: the pumper, where the piston rods had to be moved manually to generate the required water pressure and the steamer, where a steam engine ensured a far better performance. The "Kernreuter" steam and hand pump is a hybrid of these two technologies.

The Type 134 fire pump, which was manufactured by the Viennese company "Feuerlöschgerätefabrik Fr. Kernreuter" in 1911, is on exhibit at the Technisches Museum Wien (Vienna Technical Museum). It was originally deployed at the Kittsee fire brigade in Burgenland. Apart from the wheels and draw-bar, the horse-drawn wagon is made nearly entirely from metal. The steam machine and pump are located in the central part of the frame (max. pressure capacity: 11 atmospheres). The hand pump is actuated by teeter motion, the cantilever arms are retractable. The stoker's platform and operating panel are located behind the boiler. A hand press pump and fuel container are fitted to the floor. A spark catcher on the chimney is intended to keep sparks from flying about. A tool box is located underneath the coach box, the holders for the hose reel are on the side. Lanterns make it possible to also use the pump at night. The steam power required for operation is already generated during the journey by means of heating. The steam pump and the hand pump can be operated independently to ensure that at least one of them can be used in case of malfunctions.


Inv.Nr. 17022

Member of