We are a “Green Museum”– Our commitment to sustainability
As an important place of learning within society, the Technisches Museum Wien (Vienna Museum of Science and Technology) with the Österreichische Mediathek (Austrian Media Library) has been reflecting on subject areas surrounding environmental protection, renewable energy sources and waste together with its visitors for quite some time now. Since the beginning of 2020, however, the museum has devoted itself even more to sustainability by firmly incorporating this focus area not only in its guiding principle, but also in its strategic orientation.
To also reflect this commitment in the museum’s operations, all employees have extensively addressed the museum’s ecological footprint, identifying potential for improvement and developing more eco-friendly solutions. Many of these suggestions have already been implemented, enabling us to make our museum more environmentally friendly step by step.
We are very proud to have been awarded the Austrian ecolabel for our commitment!
What makes us a Green Museum
- We handle resources carefully, whether water, energy, packaging materials or office supplies.
- We not only save energy for lighting and air-conditioning, but even generate our own power using three photovoltaic systems. That way, half of the electricity needed for our depot in Haringsee is generated on site.
- As far as waste is concerned, our motto is “Reduce, reuse, recycle”, which we also apply in exhibition construction by dismantling exhibitions and reusing materials.
- We exclusively use cleaning agents that carry the ecolabel and, whenever possible, eco-friendly products for conserving and restoring our objects.
- Our museum shop also offers more and more sustainable and regional products.
- We also request our suppliers to make a contribution by reducing emissions during transport or avoiding packaging.
We have already implemented numerous larger and smaller initiatives, but still have many other steps and changes ahead of us. Being the first state museum to be awarded the title of a “Green Museum” is a landmark event we are very proud of! But we are not going to rest on our laurels, because we understand our commitment to sustainability as an ongoing process by which we make a contribution towards a future worth living. We implement this both by taking action ourselves and by engaging with our visitors in our exhibitions and educational programmes.
You also want to make a contribution?
- Choose eco-friendly means of transport! The Technisches Museum Wien does not only have excellent public transport connections; a charging station for electric cars, a Citybike station and bicycle parking racks are also located in the immediate vicinity.
- We encourage you to sort waste. For this purpose, there are sufficient waste disposal facilities on all levels of the museum.
- Help us save water by using the flush-stop function at the toilet and turning off the tap while soaping your hands.
- Use the stairs instead of the lift to help us save electricity!
Feedback and Contact
You also have ideas on how we can become even more eco-friendly together? Perfect! Send your suggestions or feedback to ! In our sustainability audit, we regularly evaluate our visitors’ messages and translate them into action.
Accessibility at the museum
Making the museum more accessible is very important to us. More information on barrier-free access to the museum can be found here.
If you have any questions, please contact our Green Events Officers at .
Learn more about Austrian ecolabel.