Alliance machine

Bild
 © Technisches Museum Wien, Photo: Peter Sedlaczek
Collection Area
Energy & Mining
Collection
Electrical Engineering
Exhibition
Energy
Epoch
1850 - 1899
Fiat Lux! The strong light of the arc lamp was used for lighthouses and military purposes.

This AC generator from the collections of the Technisches Museum Wien (Vienna Technical Museum) comes from the early days of electrical engineering. The rotor coils, wire coils with a soft iron core, rotate in a field of numerous horseshoe magnets. These permanent magnets are arranged in six fixed rings and give the machine its particular appearance.

These generators were driven by steam engines. An output of 2 - 3 horsepower was sufficient to operate an arc lamp. The powerful light of the arc lamp was mainly used for lighthouses or for military purposes, for example for lighting the glacis of fortifications. The dazzle was too strong for civilian use. Ideas such as beacons for illuminating cities remained utopian.

Manufacturer: Compagnie L’Alliance, Paris
Year of construction: 1870


Inv.Nr. 4982

Member of