• FA-123572 © Technisches Museum Wien, Photo: Peter Sedlaczek
  • FA-123571 © Technisches Museum Wien, Photo: Peter Sedlaczek
Collection Area
Production Technology
Collection
Plastics
Epoch
1980 - 1989
At the moment this object is not published in the museum.

Anger Twin Screw Extruder, 1959/60

Test
Remember
Don’t be fooled! Although this may look like some sort of a ‘handbag’, it actually measures no less than 270 x 110 x 200 cm – and it’s used to process plastics. So what we have here is the rear view of an extruder.

And while the second photo (front view) looks like a toy machine, that appearance is just as deceptive. The machine itself really is quite amazing: after all, it can make pipes or window profiles, providing of course it is equipped with the appropriate profile tools. It represents the state of the art as it was some fifty years ago.

The principle of the extruder is relatively simple to explain. Thermoplastic material in powder or granulated form is fed through a hopper into the plasticising cylinder, much in the same way as meat is fed into a mincer. The cylinder is then heated from the outside. Rotating inside the cylinder is a worm shaft, its channel depth precisely adapted to the melting property of the plastic, i.e. the change in volume during the transition from solid to liquid state. The screw is used firstly to transport the material through the cylinder and, secondly, to generate a kneading motion as the material is transported along its spiral path.

Most extruders have only one screw; those equipped with two screws are called twin screw extruders. Not only do two co-rotating screws have a better melting capacity, they also boast more intensive kneading and feeding properties.

The exhibit on show here was built by APM (Anger Plastic-Verarbeitungs-Maschinen GmbH), a company established by Wilhelm Anger in 1959. For the plastics processing industry it was a pioneering achievement in extruder development.

Our machine was gifted to the Technisches Museum (Vienna Technical Museum) in 1984 by Cincinnati-Milacron, a company domiciled in Vienna which took over APM in 1969. Since its incorporation with Battenfeld-Extrusionstechnik, the present-day company Battenfeld-Cincinnati Extrusion Holding GmbH is now one of the world’s leading manufacturers of extrusion lines.


Inv.Nr. 26551
Member of