Chlorodont chart, around 1950

The name Chlorodont comes from the Greek word ‘chloros’ (green), as a symbol of freshness, and ‘odon’ (tooth).

In 1907, Ottmar Heinsius von Mayenburg, the inventor of Chlorodont, developed his oral hygiene products in the attic of the Löwenapotheke pharmacy (Laboratorium Leo) in Dresden. Ten years later, he was producing them in greater style in the Leowerke factories, founded in 1917. In 1924, Chlorodont was the leading brand, not only on the European market. This success was based on smart marketing associated with educational campaigns on correct oral hygiene.

Chlorodont toothpaste was produced until the early 1980s. It was no longer produced after German reunification. The successors to the Leowerke factories attempted to buy back the lost rights to the Chlorodont brand.

This poster by the Chlorodont company was probably used as a teaching aid. These types of chart were produced in the early 1930s and were published in huge numbers and various formats until around 1955. The Chlorodont factories had their own advertising department and were a generous sponsor of the German Hygiene Museum in Dresden. With slight changes, these charts were manufactured, distributed and used in the German Reich, the GDR and in the Federal Republic of Germany.

The Chlorodont poster comes from the ‘Company documentation’ archive holding of the Technisches Museum Wien (Vienna Technical Museum). It includes brochures, flyers and promotional sheets, price lists, sample books, posters, technical drawings and a few photographs used for explaining equipment and machines.


Inv.Nr. BPA-006748
Member of