• FA-112066 © Technisches Museum Wien, Photo: Peter Sedlaczek
Collection Area
Information & Communication
Collection
Photograph and Film
Exhibition
medien.welten (media.worlds)
Epoch
1850 - 1899

Cinématograph Machine to record, replay and copy film

Lumière Frères, Lyon, since 1895

Test
Remember

Motion picture

The electrotachyscope by Ottomar Anschütz, the kinetoscope by Thomas A. Edison and the cinematograph by the Lumière brothers present motion pictures.

In around 1880, improved photo material makes it possible to also depict fast motion sequences. The German Ottomar Anschütz experiments with shooting continuous motion sequences of running animals. He constructs the electrotachyscope with a rotating disc and positions these serial photographs to its outer edge. Once a coin is inserted, the disc starts to rotate and a single viewer can marvel at the motion sequence through a small window.

In close cooperation with film producer Eastman, Thomas A. Edison develops the kinetoscope – a coin-operated machine which plays back a 15 metre long celluloid film for a single viewer. In October 1895, the Lumière brothers present their cinematograph in Paris, which can be used for shooting scenes on perforated film strips and projecting them onto a screen with an arc lamp. As wider audiences are reached by the cinematograph, higher levels of income are generated. This is the model of cinema on which the film industry is subsequently built up.



Inv.Nr. 13294
Member of