• Fiat 522 C © Technisches Museum Wien
  • Rosa Glückselig © Technisches Museum Wien
Collection Area
Traffic & Transport
Collection
Road Traffic
Exhibition
Inventory No. 1938
Epoch
1930 - 1939

Fiat 522 C

In 1950 the Bundesgärten Schönbrunn federal parks administration donated a Fiat 522 C built in 1932 to the Museum. It remained in the Museum’s depot for almost sixty years until it emerged that it had belonged originally to Rosa Glückselig, who lived in Vienna’s Ottakring district.

The Bundesgärten Schönbrunn federal parks administration donated this vehicle to the Museum in 1951, having previously acquired it from the SA in September 1939. The SA had seized it during a house search of Rosa Glückselig’s home on 16 March 1938. Rosa Glückselig (1896 – 1972) was married to the general store owner Moritz Glückselig (1890 – 1974) and had two sons. She ran the delicatessen Zur Raxbahn on Neulerchenfelderstrasse in Vienna’s Ottakring district, which was also where the family lived. It was very unusual for the 1930s that, in the Glückselig household, it was always the wife who sat behind the wheel; indeed, Moritz Glückselig did not have a driving licence.

Moritz was arrested following Austria’s Anschluss to Germany. He was interned at Dachau and Buchenwald concentration camps from May 1938 to March 1939. On his release the family was able to flee to Bolivia. Shortly thereafter the family moved to Buenos Aires, where they opened another general store, the Fiambreria Austria. In 2008 the vehicle was restituted to their son, who was living in Buenos Aires. The Technisches Museum Wien acquired the vehicle from the Glückselig family so it could be included in the exhibition collection, given its significance in terms of contemporary history.



Inv.Nr. 16388
Member of