Pöckstein St. Salvator (Carinthia) steel works, 1836

Test
Remember

The drawing of the Pöckstein steel works is a section through the blast furnace and the plant. It shows the Wallasch hammer, the steel hammer building, the water blast and the punch hammer.

A total of 17 technical drawings from the early 19th century document the Pöckstein steel works. They comprise views of the works with their hammer facilities, buildings and ground plans. These plans were produced using the old measure of length, the Viennese fathom, which was current in Austria until 1872.

At the end of the 18th and early 19th centuries, the diocese of Gurk owned a large mining and steel works complex. This included the smelting works in Hirt and Saint Salvator, and the hammer works in St.Salvator, Steinbrücken, Gasteigen, Pölling, St. Magdalena and Gurk. However, several hammer works - including Pöckstein – were shut down before 1855. The blast furnace in St. Salvator was closed in 1869. The high point of iron production in Carinthia was reached in 1871 and 1872. At that time, Carinthia was in second position in a comparison of data from the crown lands of the Austro-Hungarian monarchy. Production continually declined from this time onwards until Carinthia finally had to leave the group of iron producers in 1908.

The archive holdings of the Technisches Museum Wien (Vienna Technical Museum) from the Mining and Iron Production collection include a total of around 780 technical drawings of plants, machines and detailed views from the period 1830 - 1920.



Inv.Nr. BPA-000201/5
Member of