Model of a floating dock at Óbuda/Altofen with the steamer Széchenyi, pre-1898

Test
Remember
Bild
 © Technisches Museum Wien, Photo: Peter Sedlaczek
Collection Area
Traffic & Transport
Collection
Shipping
At the moment this object is not published in the museum.
Dockyard refurbishment: the shipyard at Óbuda erected in 1835 was used not only to build ships, but also to refurbish and repair them.

Before a ship could be completely overhauled and repainted, its hull had to be lifted clean out of the water. So in 1895 the DDSG commissioned the construction of a new iron floating dock capable of hoisting a ship out of the water in 45 minutes. Previously it could take up to a week to launch a ship or put it into dry dock. The installation consisted of three floats and was equipped with its own electrical lighting and electrical centrifugal pumps.

The model from the collections of the Technisches Museum Wien (Vienna Technical Museum) was built almost concurrently with the original. Lying in dry dock is the passenger paddle steamer Széchenyi. The original was built in Óbuda in 1853; in 1866 it was retrofitted with an oscillating 650 hp compound steam engine by Messrs. Escher, Wyss & Co. of Zurich. The DDSG ship was decommissioned in 1925.

Specifications

Original dimensions, floating dock: Length: 60 m

Width: 21.6 m
Height: 4.9 m
Lifting capacity: 800 tonnes
Net weight: 400 tonnes

Original dimensions, passenger steamer:

Length: 60.69 m
Width: 14.63 m
Height: 2.84 m

Inv.Nr. 16394

Member of