Sample board with printed cambrics, 1835

Test
Remember
Bild
© Technisches Museum Wien, Photo: Peter Sedlaczek
Collection Area
Production Technology
Collection
Textiles and Clothing
Epoch
1800 - 1849
At the moment this object is not published in the museum.

Samovars, boots made of Russia leather, Easter eggs in the style of Fabergé: most of us know very little about the world of historical Russian products. That also goes for fine and ‘typical’ textiles.

The Technisches Museum Wien has a large number of fabric samples from the first half of the 19th century in the inventory of its ‘cabinet of manufactory products’. Most are affixed to sample boards. The vast majority is from the early industrialised regions of the Habsburg monarchy, including Vienna, Lower Austria, Bohemia, Moravia and Upper Italy. But a good sixty of these boards also feature products by Russian textile manufacturers and were made around the mid-1830s. According to the entry book most of these fabrics reached Vienna from Moscow through Johann (János) von Deresényi. Some may well have gone on show at a trade exhibition that was held in Moscow in 1835. That same year, a major show of this kind was also staged in Vienna for the first time. The prices of the products are also listed on many of the Russian boards.

The following manufacturers are represented (listed alphabetically and in modern transcription): Belousov, Bietepage, Guchkov, Konradchev, Loktev, Mathias, Polaekov, Prochorov, Rochefort, Rogoshin, Solovyov, Titov, Tugarinov, Urusov, Volkov, and Weber. These manufacturers produced textiles made of silk, sheep’s wool, cotton, linen, and blended fabrics. Most of them ran factories in Moscow and its surroundings. Some of the names show that a number of these factory owners were in fact immigrants, including Germans. Among them was Friedrich Bietepage, a native of Braunschweig. He moved to St. Petersburg in 1796 where he initially established a large business manufacturing furniture before turning to the textile industry.


Manufacturer: Friedrich Bietepage, St. Petersburg

Date of manufacture: 1835



Inv.Nr. 61809

Member of