• FA-121723 © Technisches Museum Wien, Photo: Peter Sedlaczek
Collection Area
Information & Communication
Collection
Musical Instruments
Exhibition
Musical Instruments

Organ of the Hofburgkapelle

Test
Remember

Two thousand years ago, organs were a circus instruments. Today, they are mainly found in churches. This also applies to this instrument from the Hofburgkapelle in Vienna, built by Carl Friedrich Ferdinand Buckow.

Larger churches generally have organs with several manuals and one pedal. Such instruments are often specifically adapted to church buildings. This organ was built for the Imperial Hofburgkapelle in Vienna. The unusual shape of the case corresponded to the space that was available. Anton Bruckner played this instrument for 10 years.

Carl Friedrich Ferdinand Buckow (1801 - 1864), the builder of the organ, was a typical representative of organ romanticism. The arrangement is typical of romantic organs, which often imitate orchestral voices: Numerous stops are named after bowed instruments or other instruments of the orchestra. The many eight-foot and four-foot stops -permit a wide variety of dynamic sound gradations. The instrument was given to the Technisches Museum Wien (Vienna Technical Museum) without the upper part of the case or prospect pipes. The missing part was reconstructed on the basis of the original drawing by Buckow and a photograph of the front.

Models of the mechanical action, the key-valve-pipe link, are exhibited in the Technisches Museum. They can be tried out to understand how they work. In addition, you can see the bellow next to the instrument, which is normally concealed.

Manufacturer: Carl Friedrich Ferdinand Buckow, Hirschberg
Date of construction: 1862
Case reconstruction: Johann Waldbauer, Furth bei Göttweig



Inv.Nr. 17772
Member of