• FA-123668 © Technisches Museum Wien, Photo: Peter Sedlaczek
Collection Area
Everyday Life
Collection
Games and Sports
Epoch
1950 - 1959
At the moment this object is not published in the museum.

Racing sledge, around 1935

Elderly people sometimes have the tendency to become somewhat melancholic. A sledge is generally associated with carefree childlike winter-fun which can be enjoyed with relatively little effort. The only prerequisite: snow.

The memories of the past might also be interwoven with some regret for the children of today because many of the slopes used for tobogganing in the past are now covered with buildings and the sloping streets are reserved for motorised traffic.

The sledge of the Technisches Museum Wien (Vienna Technical Museum) has a somewhat more serious history. It is made from a heavy iron frame and was not only intended to have fun with but also for scoring victories. Its field of application was not the slopes and alleys of the surrounding residential areas, but instead the toboggan track leading down from Anninger, one of the hills on the "thermal line" south of Vienna, which was a popular excursion destination at the end of the 19th century and beginning of the 20th century. The street leading to the top was used as a challenging toboggan track and even fitted with infrastructure in the time between the wars: the "Krauste Linde" inn opened at the halfway mark in 1924 and a toboggan club from Mödling erected a clubhouse at the foot of Hochanning Hill in 1926, which was later abandoned and torn down in the 1970s. The track itself led down to Hinterbrühl and, in some curves, was walled in with concrete blocks.

Toboggan races with national and international participation were already held here in 1910; from 1927/28 onwards they were organised here on a regular basis. This was also where the "Anninger" sledge on exhibit at the museum was put to use. In 1935, a fatal accident occurred in the lower section of the track during one of these races. Since then, the finish line was moved up to "Krausten Linde".


Inv.Nr. 68418
Member of