• FA-110488 © Technisches Museum Wien, Photo: Peter Sedlaczek
Collection Area
Information & Communication
Collection
Radio and TV
Exhibition
medien.welten (media.worlds)
Epoch
1960 - 1969

Television camera

Fernseh GmbH, Darmstadt, around 1960

Test
Remember

Studio Schönbrunn

In a former film studio in Schönbrunn, Austrian television outgrows its experimental stage producing elaborate television plays.

In April 1955, a small television station for training the technical staff of the Österreichischer Rundfunk (Austrian Broadcasting Corporation) starts its operation in a former classroom in Vienna/Meidling. It only broadcasts test patterns. From August 1955 onwards, a short test program is broadcast from the tiny studio three times per week. With the aid of a film scanner, the occasional film is also broadcast – old cultural films, feature films or current film reports. The audience, however, is not particularly enthusiastic about the programme.

At the end of 1955 a broadcasting vehicle, enabling outside broadcasts, takes up its service. At the end of 1956, the television station relocates to the spacious studio facilities of the former Wien-Film in Schönbrunn. Here, television plays can be staged in an elaborate setting. Regular programme operation starts up in 1957. Broadcasts now ensue on a daily basis, except on Tuesdays, 20 hours per week in total. Colour television broadcasts commence in the late 1960s.



Inv.Nr. 54445/53
Member of