• FA-124589 (Inv.Nr. 33759), © Technisches Museum Wien, Photo: Peter Sedlaczek
  • FA-124590 (Inv. Nr. 33760), © Technisches Museum Wien, Photo: Peter Sedlaczek
Collection Area
Production Technology
Collection
Glass and Ceramics
Epoch
1900 - 1909
At the moment this object is not published in the museum.

Wall plates, ceramic, Moravia, 1900-1910

Test
Remember
It’s typical Jugendstil: curved decorative lines and ornamental floral designs began to make their mark in art and the decorative arts around 1900. This small group of ceramic exhibits also reflects this zeitgeist.

The ‘flowering Jugendstil’ lot became part of the collection of the Museum of the History of Work in Austria as a gift donated by the Wranitzky Ceramics Factory in Frainersdorf (present day Vranovská Ves) and was subsequently taken over by the Technisches Museum Wien when the History of Work Museum was dissolved in 1918. The entry on the undated registration form reads: ‘Collection of glazed clay pots with floral decoration.’

The objects bear the mark PAW, for Paul and Anna Wranitzky. The ceramics production established by Paul Wranitzky (1836-1889) in 1874 was initially taken over by his wife Anna (1850-1919) after Paul’s death and, after her death, by their son Paul, who continued to run the business until 1932. Our exhibits date from the period when the company was under female management and coincide with a time when the predominant influence on art and the decorative arts was Jugendstil, with its characteristic elements.

Among other ceramics dating from the same period – e.g. those from the Imperial & Royal Technical College for Ceramics in Teplice (German: Teplitz-Schönau) – the PAW products immediately stand out by virtue of their highly distinctive character. The vibrant colours on a predominantly brick-red, but also blue and green background are unmistakable. The vases, jugs, baskets and other receptacles feature snowdrops, gentian, daffodils and large-flowering pansies as well as other floral ornamentations so exuberantly stylised they cannot be attributed to any particular species of plant.

At 43 cm the diameter of the plates on show here is quite impressive. The ‘halo’ sported by the female figures in the centre of the plate is actually a stylised part of a plant, a motif repeated along the rim of the plate and on many other objects.

The building which once housed the ceramics factory in the Czech village of Vranovská Ves near Znojmo (Znaim) is now a hotel.

Manufacturer: P. A. Wranitzky, Vranovská Ves (German: Frainersdorf), Moravia
Production date: 1900-1910

Inv.Nr. 33759
Member of