• FA-122369 © Technisches Museum Wien, Photo: Peter Sedlaczek
Collection Area
Everyday Life
Collection
Building Systems and Services
Exhibition
Everyday Life - directions for use
Epoch
1910 - 1919

“Delphin” Water Filter Type No. 95, 1910

How is water purified? There is a nice collection of water filters from the time period around 1900 in the Technisches Museum Wien (Vienna Technical Museum).

From the middle of the 19th century, preventing dangerous diseases caused by polluted water, such as typhus or cholera, was a great concern to many people, not only in Vienna. Only few households had a guaranteed supply of clean water. One was in danger despite or perhaps especially because of having an own well. The pollution increased as the population grew. The first supply networks did not suffice in the least. In 1873, the first spring water line supplied pure water to many Viennese residents. However, those who did not yet have access to the network or had to get their supply from outside were dependent on the guaranteed purification of water.

The “Delphin” filter and artificial stone factory in Guntramsdorf near Vienna offered a large range of products from their own production. They were fine pore filters of burnt artificial stone in different shapes and sizes, which guaranteed germ-free water. The “Delphin Filter Company” labelled their products in English, suitable for export to the international market. It used the common addition “export to all countries in the world” on its letterhead stationery.

The “Delphin” Water Filter (Type No. 95) consists of a pervious plate cylinder which is closed at the bottom and screwed to a porcelain hopper. It is then placed in a glass or ceramic container, so that the filtered water can escape on all sides. The pervious plate should be removed, cleaned and boiled for 45 minutes at regular intervals. There are no reports concerning the success or defects of the system.

The danger of disease transmission through water has been irrevocably dispelled from Vienna since the completion of the second spring water line in 1910 and the connection of all households to the public supply network.



Inv.Nr. 32134
Member of