• FA-123623 © Technisches Museum Wien, Photo: Peter Sedlaczek
Collection Area
Traffic & Transport
Collection
Railways
Epoch
1990 - 1999
At the moment this object is not published in the museum.

Südbahnhof central signal box

Test
Remember

The signal box at Vienna’s Südbahnhof railway station has defied all structural changes. Once upgraded, it was preserved for many years as the railway station’s only constituent part.

After World War II the old railway stations were replaced by new buildings. For the most part the locations and operations remained unchanged. The construction of Vienna’s new main railway station has meant that one of the great terminus stations has now disappeared from the cityscape.

The Vienna-Gloggnitzer railway station was the starting point for the second main railway line of the Austrian monarchy. From 1841 it was possible to travel all the way to Gloggnitz in Lower Austria; and 34 years later, over the Semmering Pass to Trieste on the Adriatic. The railway pioneers had linked the capital Vienna with the seaport, connecting it with world trade as a result.

The splendour of the station buildings is always an indicator of the significance of any particular railway line. While the first Südbahnhof was still a simple structure, it was substantially enhanced by Wilhelm Flattich in 1872. After the World Wars the historic building had to give way to a new building. It disappeared once and for all in 2009, giving way to an entire new district.

One element, however, has outlasted the march of time: the signal box. Over the decades the building was adapted to requirements and continually expanded. The technology concealed within kept abreast of current developments. The last modification was made in 1992 when the technology used until then was replaced by a modern track plan signal box with computer interface.

The computer technology components and the workstation with the control panels have been preserved in their entirety at the Technisches Museum Wien (Vienna Technical Museum). The individual component parts and numerous archives have been extensively documented prior to their storage in the Museum’s depot.



Inv.Nr. 42968
Member of