• FA-123352 © Technisches Museum Wien, Photo: Peter Sedlaczek
Collection Area
Energy & Mining
Collection
Electrical Engineering
Exhibition
ON/OFF
Epoch
1920 - 1929

Mercury-arc rectifier

Mercury-arc rectifiers were used until around 1960 for the rectification of high outputs. This model arrived at the Technisches Museum Wien (Vienna Technical Museum) in 1929, after being honoured at the World Exhibition in Barcelona.

Networks were set up for alternating current, as this type of current can be transmitted with low losses. However, direct current is required for many applications, such as for charging batteries.

Direct current has also been successful in public transport, such as trams and underground railways. Until the introduction of power electronics, direct current motors were easier to control. Networks supplied individual rectifier stations that provided direct current for individual sections. Their relatively small radius held transport losses at reasonable levels.

Manufacturer: Elin, Vienna
Year of construction: 1923

Inv.Nr. 2208
Member of